Congratulations to our officer of the week (11/6 – 11/12): Vanessa Medrano!
Vanessa is a Human Development and Family Sciences major with a minor in psychology. She was chosen as our officer of the week for her efforts in bringing back fundraising to get ready for APO Nationals in December. She enjoyed her officer position because it allowed her to meet a lot of other members she didn’t have the chance to talk to before. She really liked our grilled cheese fundraiser because “those bad boys taste pretty good.”
Interested in joining one of the nation’s premier service organizations? The Alpha Rho Chapter of Alpha Phi Omega has recruitment every Fall and Spring semester, so don’t delay, join today!
Our pledging process is as simple as 1 – 2 – 3:
0) Find out about APO! Attend some of our information sessions and recruitment events to find out a bit about what we are and what we do. Free food and free friends will be available at all meetings! Also, join our Facebook page for Prospective members to keep up with events.
1) Come to Install. The next install will be February 3rd. This is where you officially start your time as a pledge in Alpha Phi Omega!
2) Do that whole pledgeship thing. During the next two months you will have the opportunity to learn more about APO, take part in a wide variety of service projects, participate in leadership development events, make a ton of friends, and did we mention, run the world’s largest Texas flag? Also, if it wasn’t abundantly clear, we are a ZERO HAZING organization without any tolerance for intolerance. Everyone who completes pledging requirements will be able to join APO.
3) Become an Active Member! Towards the end of the semester, once you have completed your pledge process, you will be eligible to join Alpha Phi Omega as an active member! Congratulations!
Info Session Times
Locations will be listed here when we have rooms reserved. We look forward to seeing you!
- January 23rd – 5:00 PM (Monday)
- January 25th – 8:00 PM (Wednesday)
- January 27th – 4:00 PM (Friday)
- January 29th – 1:00 PM (Sunday)
- January 31st – 6:00 PM (Tuesday)
- February 2nd – 8:00 PM (Thursday)
- January 24th – 6:00 PM: Speed Friending! (It’s like speed dating, but platonic)
- January 26th – 7:00 PM: Movie Night
- January 28th – 10:00 AM Service Project, then to lunch!
- January 30th – 5:00 PM Prospective FLAG RUN! (take part in some of our tricks with the world’s largest texas flag)
- February 1st – 5:00 PM Capture the Flag at the Capitol! (Meet up in front of the tower at 5:00, then we’ll be on our way at 5:15!)
This week’s Pledge of the Week is, Rachel West! Rachel is a first year biology major who joined our pledge program this semester. She was awarded this week’s Pledge of the week because Rachel emobides the cardinal principals of APO and she has been incredibely decidated to our flag events (as seen in her picture). In her free time, she loves to go sailing and play violin and as a now, new active she is most excited about continuing to make friends in APO.
Congrats to this week’s Pledge of the Week, Jessica Dai! Jessica is a 3rd year International Relations and Government (IRG) major and has already hit tier 3 status as a pledge with more than 125 volunteer hours! In her free time, she just likes hanging out with friends coming to all the events we host! She’s most excited about making friends, attending our banquet and getting to work with recruitment next semester to get other potential members to join APO.
Congratulations to our three officers of the week (10/16 – 10/22): Sunny Kim, Betsy Purdes, and Zaira Garcia!
Sunny was chosen as one of our officers of the week for successfully putting together one of our biggest service projects of the semester: a week-long blood drive! When she isn’t busy with APO, Sunny is working toward her degree in Biomedical Engineering. She has enjoyed being our blood drive coordinator for this semester for a few reasons. “Sometimes it is very professional and serious because it concerns lives of so many people, but other times it just makes me so happy that we as a group can make a difference even if some of us, including me, might not be eligible for blood donation,” said Sunny. Relatedly, she was once yelled at by a phlebotomist for counting four cups of coffee as a meal when they asked her if she had eaten that day.
Betsy and Zaira were also chosen as our officers of the week for bringing back a long-lost Alpha Rho tradition: Formal! Betsy is a Management major in the McCombs School of Business with a minor in International Business. She loves being one of the fellowship co-chairs because the events we hold are meant to bring people together. “Since I just joined last semester, I know how hard it can be to make new friendships and feel involved in such a large organization,” said Betsy. In preparation for her future career as an international management consultant, Betsy has been to 14 countries!
Zaira is majoring in Psychology. She also enjoys being one of the fellowship co-chairs because… friendship! “We literally get to host events where friendships blossom and it’s really cool to be a part of that,” said Zaira. “Everyone I’ve met through APO is so kind and genuine, and I love spending time with them.” Zaira also has gone to see Elf the Musical, and when it was over she cried because she was so proud of the cast and how hard they worked during the show.
A huge thank you to these three officers for giving us a week full of blood and bonding!
Congrats to this week’s Pledge of the Week, Karina Gonzalez! Karina is a 4th year pre-med/nutrition major. She was awarded Pledge of the Week this week for going above and beyond to help for blood drive this week by encouraging others to join, and volunteering for the morning shifts even if there wasn’t anyone else signed up. Something she likes to do for fun is go shopping for supplies at Marshalls or office stores. She is most excited about getting to meet other people that are just as passionate about service as she is.
This week our pledge of the week is Ray Curiel! Ray is a third year Government and English major. He was recently elected as secretary for his pledge class and was awarded Seg because he contacted several vendors in order to get the best prices and to make the best Heismsyer pledge class shirt. He’s most excited to join APO to join his family and to volunteer in the Austin community.
Congratulations to our wonderful Webmaster, Ivy Markwell! Ivy is a senior mathematics major and Pfeffer. Her favorite service projects are Inside Books, UTSS, and Austin Animal Center!
This week, Ivy was awarded Member of the Week because she leads the chapter in leadership credits, has been very active in service, and is doing a great job managing all things web-related for the chapter! A fun fact about Ivy is that she can say the alphabet faster backwards than forward.
Congrats again, Ivy!